What is Augmented Product? Definition of Augmented Product, Augmented Product Meaning and Concept
The augmented product is the level of a product where the consumer is offered additional services or benefits to the basic and real product.
A product in general is a good or service that a company offers to satisfy a need. A consumer therefore finds in a product a set of benefits that help him to cover a need.
- The augmented product contains a set of additional services and functions that add value to the good or service.
- The more variables that are added to a product, the easier it will be to sell it, because when the consumer compares it with the proposals of the competition, he perceives it as something superior to what was expected.
How to achieve customer preference
In order to attract more buyers, companies can resort to hard selling or giving an increased product.
Some companies to gain more buyers in the market drastically reduce their prices, but this strategy only works in the short term.
- By applying the hard sell strategy, they may buy once.
- But if the product does not fully meet your needs, there is no repurchase.
If companies want to maintain a long-term relationship with their consumers, they use the augmented product strategy.
- Because the more value they add to the product, the better it meets consumer expectations, or exceeds them.
- This enables a continuous repurchase process to be achieved.
What makes the augmented product different
The increased or augmented product has certain characteristics, added services or extra benefits that make the product look completely different from the proposals of other vendors.
- The basic product, the only thing that it achieves is to cover the minimum conditions of the consumer, but the increased one grants extra benefits. These benefits only give a competitive advantage in the short term. Since over time the competition equals or exceeds these added values.
- The moment they are matched, they become common benefits expected in a product, which makes it necessary to maintain constant innovation programs for companies that want to be in a privileged position in the market.
Benefits of an augmented product
Among the additional benefits that we could find in an augmented product, we can mention after-sales services and guarantees.
after sales service
It implies giving a follow-up after the acquisition of the product, which implies not only giving security to consumers that they will have availability of parts, with maintenance and repair services.
It is also necessary to establish a psychological bond with the customer so that he feels calm and sure that he will be able to obtain what he needs, if the product presents any difficulty in its use or operation.
After-sales service variables that make an augmented product
Involve the consumer or client in the development of the product:
Companies take into account the requirements of customers and consumers, managing to create an augmented product. Not only because the customer feels important in the company's decisions, but also because the products respond better to the needs of consumers.
Create a superior experience in the consumption of the product:
Giving an accompaniment in the after-sales service, which makes the customer feel special and important.
Technical support for the use and consumption of the product:
If a technician from the company teaches the consumer how to use their product, the consumer will be able to maximize its functionality, because they will make the most efficient use of it. Some consumers do not take full advantage of a product because they do not know how to use it. It means that some products, if not used properly, do not produce all the expected benefits; and in the event that the product does not work correctly, you can also find a solution.
Sometimes the after-sales service is provided by the distributor, for that reason it is important to find good intermediaries so that they continue to maintain the level of quality and the efficiency of the product.
In these cases, the distributor is the one that receives the claims and requirements of the consumer. In other words, the distributor's response will depend on the image that is maintained of the product, which could be positive or negative.
It is the support that a company gives a user about its product or services, this can be of various types such as guarantees
- Good working : Means that the product works as it says it does.
- Maintenance: It is when the company undertakes to provide routine services so that the products perform correctly.
- Product availability: The consumer is sure that they will always find the product at their disposal, which gives them peace of mind, especially if they are an institutional client and use this product as an input or raw material.
- Supply of parts: Especially when the user acquires a long-lasting product, he needs to be certain that he will find the necessary parts and spare parts when he needs them.
- Repair: If the product breaks down during the estimated warranty period, the consumer is assured that the company will make the product work and they will not lose their money.
- Return: It is the most important that a company can offer, since it is committed to returning the money, if a consumer did not like their product.
Guarantees that can exceed expectations
If you want to captivate the consumer, guarantees such as the following could be applied:
- As long as the person owns the product
- for unlimited time
- Lifetime maintenance service
- Composure at no additional cost
- No need for justification
In summary, what we have seen in an augmented product is to put into practice all the creativity of the company, to give its consumers a superior delivery; which will make the client see that what he receives far exceeds his expectations. In addition, it gives you the feeling of security and reliability towards the company, the brand and its products; which will affect a very long-term relationship of loyalty.