Mission, Vision and Values of a Company: Definition and Examples
Those entrepreneurs and businessmen who start projects that start from a specific idea, increase their level of success when they make decisions based on the vision, mission and values of a company. Just as a person is happier when he increases his level of introspection to know himself, this internal observation of the reality of the company is essential. In Transkerja.com we reflect on this topic: mission, vision and values of a company. Elements that have an essential meaning in the corporate history of an organization. Next, we will define the terms and clarify them with examples.
Mission of a company: definition and examples
What is the mission of a company? The mission is the raison d'être of this project , the reason that brings meaning to the daily work. This mission determines the direction to follow and, therefore, the coherence of a project. Those in a position of responsibility in the company must make difficult decisions . It helps that the company's mission is clear, since this mission determines a clear horizon in the decision and action plan.
The mission answers the question: What is the reason for this project? The mission must connect with the characteristics of the target audience, the entrepreneurial idea, the presentation of the company, the catalog of products and services, the market niche or the commitment to corporate differentiation as elements present in the synthesis of the mission.
Here are two examples of companies with a clear mission:
- Google: "Our mission is to organize the world's information so that everyone can access and use it."
- Nestlé Spain: "The purpose of Nestlé is to improve the quality of life and contribute to a healthier future".
Vision of a company: definition and examples
The vision of a company can be defined as that image that a company has of itself, that is, it defines the visualization of the project taking into account, not only the current characteristics of the company, such as its strengths and weaknesses, but also the way in which it may become a better version in the future. Mission and vision, although they are two different elements, are complementary terms. The vision of the future starts from the essence of that initial mission that defines the reason for being of that company.
Vision of a company
A vision that starts from the positioning in that desired scenario in which an entity perceives itself from the inspiration of being its best version. Here are two examples of companies with a clear vision:
- IKEA: "Create a better day to day for the majority of people."
- University of Navarra: "We intend to achieve a campus with a training model based on teaching and research, in which innovative solutions to today's problems and challenges are promoted. A campus where students take the leading role in their personal development with initiative and professional and where researchers are at the forefront of science ".
Values of a company: definition and examples
Values are not only important in people's lives as a reference for practical action, but they also constitute a solid foundation in business action. The values of a company are those principles that represent an organization and are manifested in the fulfillment of the mission and vision. What values can guide the steps of an entity?
Examples of company values
- The responsibility for caring for nature is a very important value in companies seeking to develop their activity from this premise.
- Quality assurance. The search for excellence in the value proposition of a catalog of products and services defined by this quality characteristic.
- Human values. People are part of an organization from a double perspective. The people who work on the team are the ones who make the fulfillment of the mission and vision possible. In turn, a company also establishes a bond with customers. For this reason, caring for and respecting people are values that also define a company that takes care of this aspect.
Therefore, the mission, vision and values of a company are part of the reality of an organization that has a reason for being, an aspiration and principles that guide this process in the action plan.