How to Resolve a Conflict at Work
In the professional field there are competences that are not reflected in the curriculum in terms of training. There's a reason companies increasingly value candidates' emotional intelligence. Working as a team means establishing bridges of relationship with others. Conflicts, which are so often interpreted negatively, are simply situations that require an agreed solution. And for this, it is important that candidates adopt this attitude of conciliation. How to solve a conflict at work? In psychology, we advise you with these indications.
6 tips for solving a work conflict with a colleague
Work conflicts with colleagues are frequent in the office. How to solve them?
- Your coworker doesn't have to be your friend . Being clear about this principle is important to understand the very nature of labor relations. That is, if, for example, you do not feel a special sympathy for that person, that should not be an obstacle to what is important: meeting professional goals.
- Talk to that person. But do it at a time when you can privately comment on that matter you want to resolve. Do not aspire that other colleagues have to position themselves in favor of one or the other. It is advisable to be prudent and handle the matter with discretion. Therefore, do not comment on what happened with other people because this can contaminate the emotional environment.
- Focus on describing the facts and observable details surrounding that issue. That is, do not focus the conversation on the personal level of evaluations or attitudes. In this way, by paying attention to the external object of that action, you establish a bridge to understanding. Therefore, differentiate between the fact itself and the person to enhance empathy.
- Listen carefully to the other person. It is very possible that you are loaded with reasons to think as you think, but if you do not expand your mind to attend to what your partner has to say to you, then, you cannot get out of your point of view to find possible agreements. From a negotiation point of view, adopt the criterion "I win, you win." That is, try to work together to find a solution that is satisfactory for both of you.
- Seek the mediation of the team leader. There are circumstances in which two people do not come to an understanding on their own. In this case, it is advisable to share the fact with the person in charge of the team so that, from his position, he can carry out an objective mediation task. Decisions must be made in the context of the team because an unresolved conflict between two partners can negatively affect the overall level.
- Practical mindset. Think that you are simply happier when you go to work having a cordial relationship with your colleagues, than when you do not turn the page on a certain issue. In most cases, work conflicts between colleagues increase not so much because of the objective nature of the matter, but because of the attitude of one or both parties. Therefore, please resolve this pending issue.
Some people have the thought of changing jobs when faced with different conflicts. However, in that case, the change of position is not a solution but an escape. What happens then? That the person does not acquire the necessary resources to face these situations and will again encounter similar events in their new destination.
How to improve communication to solve work conflicts
Dialogue is the best understanding resource to solve a pending issue. How to promote dialogue to face a labor conflict?
- Take care of your expression: the risk of a conflict is that your own speech acquires a negative tone from complaints or reproaches. It is important that you watch your words to try to describe reality in a constructive way. In this other article we tell you how to be more assertive at work .
- Take care of your tone of voice. Not only what you express verbally is important, but also how you say it. Your tone of voice is very significant, especially in a time of professional disagreement. Try not to make your tone project an angry message. Take a deep breath to calm yourself before facing the conversation, and try to plan the talk around what you want to share.
- Try to know the other person's reasons. True empathy does not lie in treating others as you would like them to treat you, but in having the ability to understand the other as different from you. For this reason, ask open questions, those whose answer encourages a reflection that goes beyond a mere monosyllable. Through this search for respectful information, you will be able to better understand the other person's point of view and also their reasons.
- Think in the "we" frame . If you have a work conflict, this matter can become endless if each of you positions yourself on the plane of individuality. For this reason, use expressions that begin with the word we. It is important to highlight the essence of the team against the self.
- Watch your body language. For example, avoid gesturing excessively because this creates a sense of noise in the expressed message. In the same way, look for eye contact with the interlocutor because this fosters a feeling of closeness, trust and search for understanding.
How to solve a conflict at work? Currently, many training centers offer emotional intelligence courses oriented to the professional field. A workshop on conflict management can give you the opportunity to acquire new skills and resources from practical training.
Updated on: 2020-11-25T09:10:21Z
Published on: 2020-11-25 09:10:00