Bathing and swimming pool coatingPool coating seals and promotes hygiene and safety
In addition to private pools in the garden or cellars, there is an increasing number of public swimming pools and baths: in wellness areas, hotels and sports they are indispensable. The demand for pool coating and swimming pool coating is also flourishing.
In swimming pools, coating is used as a reliable seal. Pool coating provides protection against the adhesion of dirt, microorganisms and bacteria to walls and floors . Jointless swimming pool coating offers hygienic properties and can also be formulated non-slip.
Swimming pool coating offers :
- Jointless : no sharp edges and sharp corners; less risk of injury.
- Waterproofing : Pool coating is waterproof and serves as a pool seal. The surface of the bath remains dry and is not damaged by water penetration.
- Optics : Badi in azure blue? No problem, but there are a lot more colors, finishes and textures possible.
- Invisible hygiene : The jointlessness reduces the risk of contamination, bacteria and fouling.
Suitable swimming pool coating for 4 typical swimming pool typesNot every pool coating is equally suitable for any surface. Some are suitable for porous, cementitious substrates, while others show the best adhesion properties on fiberglass. The desired finish also plays a major role: should the appearance of your swimming pool be preserved or retreaded? Is hygiene in the foreground, safe sealing or skid resistance?
These general guidelines will help you to choose the right pool coating depending on the type and material:
1. Pool coating for concrete swimming poolPossible coating : primer + polyurethane coating (public pool / baths), chlorinated rubber (private context) or epoxy resin coating (indoor pool). Concrete baths always require a primer. This is followed by the epoxide, chlorinated rubber, so-called liquid rubber , or polyurethane coating. Epoxy resin paints are less suitable for newly built pools because of their low elasticity. Polyurethane is more flexible and can bridge joints. Chlorinated rubber is waterproof and resistant to chlorine and algae growth. A disadvantage of chlorine rubber is its relatively low resistance to fats and oils (sunscreen, etc.). Leisure pools should not use it.
2. Pool coating for swimming pool made of fiberglass plasticPossible coating : 1-component epoxy paint (private context), epoxy coating and polyurea coating.
Epoxy resins adhere well to GRP and also have a very high chemical resistance (chlorine-containing water, cleaner) . One disadvantage can be the rather long drying time after application (depending on the layer thickness of 3 to 7 days). Polyurea coating dries in seconds . It is applied by means of a special hot sprayer. Small GRP pools can be repaired with epoxy resin coating.
3. Tile coating for tiled poolsPossible coating : primer + epoxy coating (indoor pool), polyurea hotspray, (public baths)), chlorinated rubber coating.
Almost all 2-component paints are suitable for tile coating, as long as well primed. If the optics of the pelvis are to be preserved, epoxy resin coating is a possibility because it cures transparent / translucent. However, it can break when exposed to heat and easily discolored by UV radiation. If the tile structure disappears, some layers are needed. Chlorinated rubber is the best choice, but is not available in many shades and is also not suitable for public baths, as it is not oil resistant.
4. Swimming pool coating for pools made of aluminum or stainless steelPossible coating : Acrylic polyurethane with anti-corrosion properties.
For swimming pools made of stainless steel and aluminum, it is important to choose a corrosion protection coating or at least a corrosion protection base. Please always consult an expert to choose the appropriate system.
Pool coating is more than just a pool sealIn addition to operators of swimming pools and pools, spa facilities, saunas can also benefit from the sealing properties. Finally, the coating can act as a non-slip floor covering. That comes in the pool area outside or inside just right. It is also a possible floor covering in the following areas:
- Changing rooms in spas and baths
- On and around water attractions
- Barefoot areas in sauna, wellness, beauty salon etc.
- Shower rooms in sports and fitness facilities
- walk-in shower
- Campsites, bungalow parks and their sanitary / bath facilities
A high-quality pool coating ensures that both leisure swimmers and sauna visitors expect a non-slip and hygienic visit to the pool, changing rooms and surroundings.
5 factors for the price determination of pool coatingSwimming pool coating applicators generally calculate the service of coating the pool as follows:
- Result of first inspection : moisture in the ground, difficult to reach places, cracks or rough terrain. These are all reasons for an increased price. The fewer obstacles, the lower the price.
- Necessary preparation : Preparation is probably the most important work for every coating. A good prepared surface ensures adequate adhesion of the coating. If there are many repairs or ground leveling, or if the surface is particularly dirty, the extra costs will be charged as well.
- Type of application : Some surfaces require special processing methods such as with the Heisssprühgerät, others are with brush and roller to edit. Sometimes one layer is enough, then several layers are necessary again. All of this affects the final bill.
- Extras : If a special finish or color is desired, then that's no problem, because almost everything is possible. However, you should adjust to extra costs for extra requests.
- Surroundings : Often not only the pool, but also the environment belongs to be coated. Think in advance about perhaps including the footpaths, showers, transitions to seating areas etc. for the coating.