Creative writing is one that deviates from the standards of the normal forms and characteristics of journalistic, academic, technical, or literary writing.
Creative writing tends to be very original, and departs from the more conventional writing that exists.
Create, invent, and show new themes are some of his goals. Whenever you write looking for a point of originality and trying to capture a certain effect in a writing, this type of writing is being carried out.
Characteristics of creative writing
These are the most prominent:
- Originality. It is about providing a fresh, different, novel approach that causes a feeling of innovation in the user who reads it.
- It does not imitate the genres that exist, but is a way of writing that is far from the traditional schemes that exist.
- It reveals the talent and imagination of the author when carrying out this type of writing.
Differences between creative and academic writing
These are the most notable differences:
- Academic writing is typical of the university and scientific field.
- Its purpose is usually didactic.
- Persuading, arguing and informing are key when making this type of writing.
- It uses a series of very elaborate resources, a very precise vocabulary and phrases aimed at showing the information so that the receiver can be informed at all times.
- Creative writing goes outside the framework of traditional writing such as academic writing, for example.
- Originality and imagination are two of its most characteristic weapons.
- The authors who carry it out tend to invent themes, situations or things, thus generating the sensation of novelty and innovation.
- Creative writing does not imitate any genre, nor does it follow a classic writing pattern.
What does creative writing contribute?
These are its benefits:
- Creative writing develops the ability to learn, empathy, and thinking. It is highly recommended to practice it with children.
- Improve vocabulary, and expand the knowledge of new expressions.
- It serves to improve the ability to concentrate and be more reflective when thinking.
- It is something educational, and it will improve the vocabulary of anyone who participates in an activity of these characteristics.
- An element of leisure to be entertained and at the same time learn.
- Creativity and imagination will increase thanks to this type of writing.
- It is a very motivating activity for both children and adults, since they are the ones who will create texts from their imagination and their own inventory.
Tips for creating creative texts
These guidelines will be of great help:
- Take with you a notebook, a tape recorder to write down things you see, or come to mind. You can even take photos that inspire you to write later, or videos about something that makes you curious. Inspiration is not always on your side, so take advantage of it when it arises.
- Write everything you can think of, whether it makes sense or not. Then you will give it shape, but even if it sounds crazy, or crazy, it can be useful later to create your texts.
- Take note of the stories that people tell you, observe reality, take a look around you and use this for inspiration.
- Stay tuned for the news, and the things that happen daily. Internet, and new technologies allow to be constantly updated.
- You can develop fictional texts, or not, that can be based on your own imagination, or on situations that you know, or have lived. Therefore, being in contact with society and the people around you will inspire you to create content.
- Consider the structure. Although creative writing does not follow a traditional scheme, it is good to differentiate several acts: beginning, body and ending.
- At the beginning, it is best to introduce the character, or the protagonists of the story. When the body is passed, the problem begins to be glimpsed, or the story that is going to happen. Finally, in the denouement you will show how the story is resolved. Whether it is a happy, sad, tragic ending, or an open ending where each of his own vision of what happened.
- It is very important to be original, but also to develop the psychology of the characters, and to have a story that arouses the reader's curiosity.
Types of creative writing
These are the main ones:
- Tales, a very characteristic genre to include creative and original ideas. In addition, it is very useful to engage and motivate children to start reading.
- Scripts, one of the most characteristic options when it comes to putting creative writing into practice. Films are usually creative works where everything that has passed through the writer's mind is captured. Imagination to power.
- Novels, some can be very creative and original since they provide novel facts, or the way of telling them itself is very innovative.