An impulsive purchase is one that is made without planning and suddenly due to an emotional impulse.
An impulse purchase is considered to be everything that we acquire that was not previously planned.
In addition, impulsive purchases can be motivated by factors that induce them. For example, products that are near the checkout of supermarkets, in gas stations or in shopping streets, with their markets, bazaars and the like. It is usually, therefore, consumer objects that are seen, touched if possible and if they like, they take home. However, it can also happen with services.
In an impulsive purchase, the products that are chosen are neither essential nor emergency. In this sense, there is no doubt that business areas such as marketing or advertising are well aware of the technique and its characteristics.
Because of this, stores that sell these impulsively purchased products — a magazine, a music CD, or a scarf — know well where to locate them: in plain view. That is, in the most privileged situation possible for the consumer to buy them. What's more, the products of this type of product must stand out in some way since in 99.9% of cases they are not wanted.
Tips not to fall into impulsive buying
When it comes to impulse buying, the sales and the offers of the establishments reflect a great temptation. Thus, we highlight a series of tips to avoid falling into it:
- Write a shopping list with what you really need to avoid what is known as cross selling. A marketing strategy that takes advantage, if you are looking for a shirt, to put the most appropriate tie and vest next to it. Possibly the impulsive consumer takes all three items.
- Set a spending limit for products that may attract your attention. Furthermore, if we find something that exceeds that limit, it is best to wait a couple of hours or a few days and come back later, once the "impulse" to buy has passed.
- If we really want to buy a certain product, it is best that we do our research first. It is advisable to look at the prices in other stores and also on the Internet because it is possible that you will save a lot of money and, at the same time, get a better quality.
- Plan expenses and do not exceed the budget that has been imposed. Keep the accounts up to date and, in this way, we can see how you spend the money. And be able to rectify in your case.
- When it comes to purchasing a product, there is always the option of the second-hand market and of renting instead of buying. Or to reuse, for example, the books and multimedia platforms from the library closest to your home. In addition, there are many online forums where products that have already been used but are practically new are offered.
- You have to take care of what you have since replacing a product is always expensive. If it is broken, lost, or you don't maintain it properly, you will have to buy it back if you need it. And when it is already necessary, if it has been neglected in its use and use, we will not be able to take advantage of it or reuse it in good condition. In fact, a good result for any type of product would be to be able to resell it and thus obtain an income, or offer it to someone who needs it in solidarity.