What is Zumba? Definition of Zumba, Meaning and Concept
What is Zumba? Zumba is a sports discipline that is taught in directed classes in which aerobic exercises are performed to the rhythm of Latin music (merengue, samba, reggaeton, cumbia and salsa) in order to lose weight in a fun way and improve the mood of the athletes.
In the late 1990s, Colombian Alberto Pérez developed this sports philosophy that combines physical conditioning, entertainment, and dance culture to encourage exercise. Currently this discipline, zumba fitness , is one of the most demanded in Spain and is practiced in more than 185 countries.
The key for athletes to lose weight ( in a class they can eliminate 1,500 calories ) is that during the 60 minutes that a session lasts, they mix fast and slow rhythms with series of exercises, with which, in addition, the athlete tones the muscles. Zumba classes are aimed at all people, regardless of gender or age and do not require prior preparation.
There are different modalities and variants besides Zumbia itself: Zumba Step, Zumba Toning, Aqua Zumba, Zumba Sentao, Zumba Gold, Zumba Gold-Toning, Zumba Kids, Zumba Kids Jr., Zumbini and Zumba in the Circuit. The classes are taught by official instructors and usually have an hour duration although they vary depending on their modality. Choreography usually combines movements or steps in which resistance is also trained. Some classes may be oriented to work on a particular aspect. For example, Zumba Step focuses on working the lower body, burning calories and toning and strengthening glutes and legs.
One of the characteristic aspects of zumba is its playful aspect. In addition, this type of practice is recommended by experts because it can improve cardiorespiratory capacity whenever physical exercise is performed with intensity and moderate duration.
Zumba can be practiced in groups in clubs and gyms but through new technologies you can have access to practical classes through online videos.
There are also video games for the Wii and Xbox 360º console, videos on DVD and applications for mobile and tablets.
The company Zumba Fitness also sells other types of products such as music CDs, clothing, footwear, magazines and accessories related to Zumba.
10 Benefits of Zumba that your body and mind will appreciate
Zumba turns dance, physical training and fun into a different form of exercise, knows what the benefits of zumba are, and how it influences both the physical and the psychological aspects.
This fitness discipline has become fashionable because of the subtle way it adapts to physical requirements. These exercise routines are very fun and easy to follow, you can also practice at home if you do not have time to go out. Needless to say, the benefits of zumba are only perceived if you are consistent in your practice.
Benefits of zumba for your body
The dance gives great positive body results, it works as a natural antidepressant while giving you physical well-being . The dance in conjunction with the aerobic movements, requires good coordination and this leads to discard the negative energies that you may have. In this context we will highlight the most remarkable benefits that this discipline offers to your body:
Eliminates body fat
With only about 35 minutes of this new routine, you will be burning an average of 800 calories in each session . When you increase your heart rate above normal capacity, you will be burning calories simultaneously.
Strengthens the cardiovascular system
Whatever the dance that you practice, it is a cardiovascular exercise , that indicates that various organs of the body enter into movement. Dancing sets in motion the heart, the lungs and the circulatory system in general. By having cardiac well-being you can reduce cholesterol, triglycerides and blood glucose levels .
By exercising to the rhythm of music along with the movements of aerobic exercises, you will be contributing to tone, shape and strengthen the muscles of arms, legs, abdomen and gluteus. Likewise, your physical resistance will increase, which will make you feel more energetic during the course of the day.
Practicing this physical exercise will make you segregate endorphins; hormones that promote happiness, therefore, you will feel relaxed and in a good mood. In addition, this implies that your stress levels will be reduced and your self-esteem will increase. His most loyal followers believe that it also helps improve the sexual life of people.
Goodbye to boredom
If you want to do exercises in an unconventional way or do not like gym machines , then Zumba is for you. This type of training mixes music from different genres , such as salsa, merengue, cumbia, flamenco, bachata, calypso, hip hop, reggaeton, among others.
One of the purposes of this discipline is to provide you with fun so that you can continue with the routine and fulfill the objective . Exercising in this way completely changes the criteria of sport and encourages you to perceive the benefits through a dynamic dance.
Great results in a short time
The key lies in perseverance , if you practice buzzing 3 times a week, you will keep excess weight and obesity at bay. The most interesting thing is that you will begin to see the results in a short time , and that will encourage you to continue the training.
Reduces lactic acid
There are different types of exercises that produce a burning sensation when practiced, but with this sport you will avoid that problem. The practice of this routine decreases the production of lactic acids, which will prevent the accumulation in your muscles .
Increase your social life
Following this training program will help you meet more people or make new friends . In the gyms choreographies are done to perform this exercise in groups of 10 people or even more, these are directed by a coach. This will open up the possibility of socializing with people who are not from your common environment.
For all public
While this training is quite moving, that does not indicate that you should be an expert to practice it. This program has trainings for people of different ages and aptitudes or physical needs . Ideal for men, women, children, seniors, diabetics and others.
No matter how old you are when practicing Zumba, it is important that you enjoy each session to maintain your motivation. Not only will you be having a good time in the company of others, but it will improve your self-esteem and physical fitness.
Types of zumba
Zumba is a very fun and varied discipline. Currently there are several types of zumba routines, among which are: zumba fitness, aqua zumba, gold, saturn, zumba in the circuit, toning and zumbatomic.
- Zumba. The normal zuma class is aimed at any type of person . For an hour, he mixes high and low intensity movements to burn calories in a fun way. These classes combine balance and flexibility with cardiovascular and muscular work and increased energy.
- What is Zumba steps. The goal is to strengthen and tone the legs and buttocks. To achieve this, in this physical conditioning he combines the movements of the normal Zumba class with steps on a stair (step). In this class, cardiovascular activity increases, favoring the burning of more calories, and movements that define the legs and abs are incorporated.
- What is Zumba toning. The objective of this modality is to tone, shape and define the muscles. In these classes the athletes work with a complement: the zumba toning sticks (light weights) that make the work concentrate on specific groups of muscles. The toning sticks are shaped like maracas and are intended to increase the athlete's sense of rhythm and coordination while using them while toning areas such as the abdominals, upper and lower body.
- What is Aqua buzzes. This option is ideal for those who want to introduce low-impact aquatic exercise into their sports conditioning. In these classes, Zumba exercises are combined with the resistance of working in the water. This modality causes less impact on the joints but, due to the resistance generated by the water, each step requires more activity and helps tone the muscles.
- What is Zumba sit down. It is aimed at people who want to work their abs intensely. In Zumba Sentao, strengthening and resistance activities are combined with innovative dance movements with a chair as an accompaniment. In this way the athlete can work the muscles to the maximum without lifting weights.
- What is Zumba gold. Class aimed at older adults where the same movements are performed as in the normal Zumba class but with less intensity. These sessions consist of simpler choreography that focuses on coordination, balance, and range of motion. In these classes all the elements of conditioning are worked: flexibility, balance, muscular and cardiovascular work.
- What is Zumba gold toning. This class is designed for older adults who aim to perform activity with little weight and strengthen muscles using the zumba toning sticks. These sessions can help prevent atrophy, sarcopenia (loss of muscle fibers), and older adults from reducing muscle mass and increasing muscle strength.
- What is Zumba kids. Aimed at children between 7 and 11 years old. In these classes the steps are learned little by little and activities and games are added so that the classes are enjoyable for the children and develop camaraderie and teamwork.
- What is Zumba kids junior. Activity aimed at children between 4 and 6 years old in which children learn to move to the rhythm of music.
- What is Zumbini. Aimed at parents who want to have fun with their children between 0 and 3 years old. These classes last 45 minutes and are held in sessions that last between 6 and 12 weeks. Upon registration, the monitor gives them a CD and a storybook to take music anywhere.
- Zumba in the circuit. Indicated for people who already practice Zumba but want to move towards circuit training.
What kind of zumba should I do?
Consider what type of zumba is best for you and condition your body in the best way. For this, pay attention to the following data.
- Zumba for beginners: The best is zumba fitness , it is the simplest version and classes are taught with basic rhythms.
- To burn calories: practice zumba tonino , it will also help you tone your arms. Dumbbells are used.
- Against stress : what zumba consists of routines in the water, but burning calories also releases tension.
- For children: zumbatomic is aimed at children from 4 to 12 years old.
- Zumba for the elderly: zumba gold , with exercises adapted to your level of mobility.
Advantages of performing zumba
Provides benefits physiological and psychological . It favors cognitive function, improves bone density, increases self-esteem, decreases depression, reduces anxiety and provides opportunities for social interaction.
Therefore, no matter how old you are, do not hesitate to practice zumba , have fun and have good health.
How to practice zumba at home
Practicing Zumba is one of the easiest and fun ways to play sports, besides, as we show you in this article, it is not necessary to leave home.
Zumba has become fashionable in recent years as a very fun sport with which to burn fats easily while having a good time. If you have seen it in the gym, you have probably noticed that it is not so complicated and that you could practice it at home. Now, how to practice Zumba at home? We tell you!
It has been shown that zumba is a very effective sport to lose weight and burn fat . Many women, and also men, have selected it as the perfect exercise to lose weight and stay in shape.
The biggest advantage of this discipline is that it can be executed at home with a little imagination and self-control. Its origin is Colombian and is a mixture of Latin dance movements with aerobic exercises .
In each of the zumba sessions you can burn about 800 calories while having fun. In addition, it is a sport suitable for all ages, because during the march each one can decide what movement he can not perform. There's even zumba for kids!
You know, if you like dancing, have fun and be in shape, the Zumba is what you are looking for. Would you like to practice it at home? Well, look how to do it:
Prepare a space
Even if your house is not very big, the zumba is a great sport to practice. Move the carpet, table or sofa, and create a small space of a couple of square meters. It will be more than enough.
Make sure that the TV or the tablet, or wherever you are going to see the movements , is at a reasonable distance that does not force you to lean forward or backward to see them correctly.
It's time to start looking for some zumba videos. Choose one with simple movements at the beginning, that you see yourself capable of doing, and if you want to be an hour, try to make the video have that duration to not cool down.
If there is none so long, choose a sequence of several that can add that time or more. Between video and video you can drink water to hydrate correctly.
Meet the Latin dances
Although to practice Zumba you do not have to be an experienced dancer , knowing some movements of Latin dances will be useful for you to do it in a more fluid way. In addition, practicing dances also helps you get fit.
Find suitable clothes
No, pajamas are not an option. To play sports you also have to feel attractive, but above all, comfortable. Choose a sports set that you like, if you do not have one, you could buy one.
There are several large stores that sell them at a low price. In addition to helping you to be comfortable, clothing plays an important role with sweating.
The shoes are key since you need running shoes . If you choose fitness for example, these will have small tacos that can prevent you from slipping easily.
When you are thirsty drink water to prevent a flatulence, but do not drink too much if you are very exhausted, because it is not beneficial either. Have a bottle by hand and take small sips whenever you feel like it.
Have a towel handy to dry your sweat and if you can, pick up your hair with a ribbon.
If in addition to losing weight and being in shape you would like to tone your arms, use some small weights while dancing. Choose a dance in which you have to raise your arms a lot or invent your own movements for it.
Be careful and do not choose weights that are too heavy at first. As you progress and learn more, you can go up levels in everything.
If you follow these steps, you are prepared to dance zumba at home. You will show us the good results!