Difference Between Principles and Values
Although they are sometimes used interchangeably, there are differences between principles and values. Values form a guide to establish the type of appropriate behavior by individuals in society. On the other hand, the principles are universal norms and beliefs that aim to enhance the development of the human being and live in harmony.
Both concepts are necessary and must be put into practice so that human beings can live in a balanced way in society and on an individual level.
Many times they are confused when it comes to being used, but they harbor differences when it comes to putting them into practice.
Values are qualities that are part of a person and that are related to what is accepted at a social level. For example, ethical values or moral values , among others.
The principles must be fulfilled so that you can live in a balanced way in society. They form a very effective guide to know what is correct and what is not. Thanks to this, people can live in harmony and contribute to an effective social way of life. For example, principle of equality or principle of life.
What are the main differences between principles and values?
These are the most outstanding:
- The principles are universal and do not depend on any type of condition or interpretation.
- Values can be questioned or valued. For example, a person can be said to lack ethical values if her behavior is intolerable.
- The values are known at a general level, but their implementation starts from the commitment of the individual. There are people who do not respect certain values or are not committed to them.
- The principles are norms that it is recommended to comply with so that there is a good functioning at a social level.
- Values are closely related to the personality and way of acting of the human being.
What are the most outstanding values?
These are the most recognized:
- Ethical values : People govern their behavior on the basis of these values. They influence in a prominent way when it comes to behaving and relating to what surrounds us. For example, animals and people.
- Civic values : They are those that are considered positive for good social development.
- Social values : Those that are shared in society to live in a balanced way and in harmony. They are known by the members of society and the implementation of these guarantees that they can live effectively.
What principles are the most prominent?
These principles are the most prominent:
- Principle of freedom: This type of principle refers to the freedom that the human being has from birth. If there is something that prevents this from being put into practice, this principle will be questioned.
- Principle of equality : This principle promulgates that all human beings, without distinction, are equal before the law.
- Principle of the good : This principle helps that what is considered correct is put into practice. The objective of this is to achieve social welfare.