What is Performance (Art)? Definition of Performance (Art), Performance (Art) Meaning and Concept
Performance is a word of English origin whose meaning is work, representation, or artistic display. It is related to the arts, and is widely used to refer to this type of artistic production.
A performance is made by several members with the aim of representing a work of art.
This type of art dates back to 1916, his official date of birth. It is a manifestation in which the artist's body is essential to carry out this type of work.
Performance art has always been considered as an art in wine, free, natural and without established codes. A way of experiencing a work of art through the body rhythms of the components that interpret it.
In the field of investment, the concept is related to portfolio management.
These are the main characteristics of performance art:
- The elaboration of the works, and the work that is reflected in them, is carried out mainly by the members. The scenarios are not so important, but it is based especially on the physical. That is to say, the use of the body of the artists is very important when making this type of artistic creations.
- The scenario can be any. There is no set site, so they can be done anywhere.
- The elements that come together in this type of work are the following: the body of the artist, the duration, the space in which it takes place, and the relationship that exists between the artists and the public that attends.
- Different artistic manifestations can be included within a performance: dance, music, painting, drama... It can bring together different facets, combining all of them in that performance.
- Nudity is a common feature of this type of demonstration. It is not mandatory, but it is often included in performance works.
What are the goals of performance art?
These are the main ones:
- Provocation is one of the main objectives, for this reason interaction with the public is usually very common and necessary, it is part of the performance. They often motivate attendees to participate and interact. For example, in the shows of La Fura dels Baus, it is very common.
- It moves away from any established format, it is not a classic work, but it combines many disciplines and integrates them in a coherent way. In the end, it is like a work of art live and in continuous action, which is why its freedom of execution stands out.
- They promote the visual aspect, it is one of the most striking things in this type of art.