Operational marketing is the strategy that is responsible for executing the actions and sales tactics with the aim of informing potential buyers of the characteristics of the products or services that a company offers.
Also called tactical marketing depends on strategic marketing (more theoretical) to achieve greater objectives beyond numbers and metrics.
Operational marketing tries to look for markets in the short and medium term and is specified in decisions related to the product, its price, its distribution and communication. With no other goal than to increase marketing efficiency and organizational agility. It is a concrete action oriented to the product.
It is a more urgent, aggressive and visible commercial action because it corresponds to the action of marketing management. Its effectiveness, however, will depend on the quality of the previously established strategic choices.
- Also read: What is Imagotype? Definition of Imagotype, Imagotype Meaning and Concept
- Also read: What is White Brand? Definition of White Brand, White Brand Meaning and Concept
- Also read: What is Macroenvironment? Definition of Macroenvironment, Macroenvironment Meaning and Concept
What does it take to carry out operational marketing?
These are the main needs to put it into practice:
- Specify the characteristics of the product or service that is offered.
- Select the intermediaries through which the distribution will be carried out.
- Set an appropriate price for its sale in relation to what the product offers, taking into account its characteristics.
- Specify the means of communication that the company will use to publicize said product or service. This is essential as they are a very important part of the gear of this strategy.
Why use it?
These are some reasons:
- Creates products and services based on innovation and operational excellence to maximize the benefits of the company.
- It provides the turnover of the companies. That is, sales.
- It affects short-term profitability.
- It is directly linked to strategic marketing.
- Minimize resource and media costs.
- The risk of loss is lower.
- It is linked to tools such as advertising or mailing.
What functions does operational marketing perform?
The most prominent functions are the following:
- Commercial policies: They must be coordinated and defined in time.
- Marketing group management.
- Coordination of actions:. From the design of the product or service to be offered to its distribution in the market.
- Attributes of the product: It also focuses on the psychological and sociological aspects related to it.
- Product range management: It is also responsible for the maintenance, modification, change or launch of new products.