A mercenary customer is one who does not have any link of loyalty or fidelity with the company, although they feel very satisfied with the good or service they buy, they continually change the product or brand, because they seek to maximize their satisfaction.
They are clients who frequently change their company or brand, when they purchase goods and services, because they have no intention of maintaining a link with the company or a long-term relationship,
They change very easily, because they are always looking for a situation of greater benefit. When buying they are guided by the price, the added value received or any other situation that offers greater convenience.
If they are faithful for a while with a company, it is simply that at that particular moment of time they have not been able to find another company that provides them with a greater benefit, but as soon as it appears, they move with the competitor company immediately without thinking twice..
Mercenary customer types
Mercenary clients can be classified into three categories:
1. Clients switchers
They are customers who choose a group of brands that they like or are their favorites and find themselves exchanging one for another, to the extent that they are offered a promotional stimulus.
- These clients have proliferated in recent years due to changes in the technological field, which has allowed us to have a greater possibility of products and a high level of information and communication. Technology influences the perception that a consumer has to give value or not to a satisfactory, putting at risk loyalty due to the access that people have to the wide variety of products on the market.
- They are considered an important segment in the market, because despite manifesting and showing high levels of satisfaction, companies fail to see it reflected in the increase in the level of sales, this group shows great sensitivity towards the value added to the product.
- A good experience is not enough for this group of consumers, but they are looking for a more personalized treatment and the company must find a better way to communicate with these types of clients, because we must understand that something that previously had a lot of value, now does not have no significance.
Having a group of loyal and exclusive customers is practically impossible because if the consumer is well informed they can have many more options to choose products, brands and companies.
When the company deals with this customer, it must focus on understanding that the new consumer is looking for personalization, unique or highly differentiated products and a good relationship with the brand. If we offer these benefits, we will achieve a greater sense of belonging with our brand, company and product.
2. Negotiating client
This type of customer always needs to get something else to feel satisfied; It can be a discount, a gift, or any extra benefit that makes you feel like you've accomplished more than other customers.
- This client does not really care much about what he is going to get, but rather about getting the benefit. It doesn't matter if we give him a promotional pen, but his satisfaction is that he got it and another customer didn't.
- When the company deals with these kinds of customers, there should always be something to quench their craving for something more from the company and that will keep them happy. You feel like you got something extra from the company and therefore came out ahead.
3. Low price finder client
The category of this group of customers is characterized by the great value they give to the price of the product. They always try to maximize their income, therefore, their level of preference for a product will be determined by a discount, a coupon or any promotional stimulus with which they consider that they are paying less for the good or service they receive.
- The category of this group of customers is characterized by the great value they give to the price of the product. They always try to maximize their income, therefore, their level of preference for a product will be determined by a discount, a coupon or any promotional stimulus with which they consider that they are paying less for the good or service they receive.
- Faced with this type of client, the company must work on a pricing strategy that pleases them, because they are clients who are looking for the product whose acquisition represents the lowest possible cost. Now if you do not want to only work as a benefit, the price can be offered other variables that also reflect value and that represent a lower cost for the user such as the delivery of a good guarantee, providing a convenient product and saving time in the purchase.
Finally, we must consider that it is not favorable for any company to lose customers, as in the case of mercenary customers. For this reason, companies must work hard to ensure that the customer identifies with it, creating links that unite them with their products and brands. Since, if we give them a special treatment, not only will they stay with us, but they will talk about their experience with other people and that can attract potential clients.