Partner Codependency: Definition, Symptoms and Treatment
The only person who can constantly accompany you on this journey of life is yourself. Social relationships are also very important as a source of happiness. In the realm of the couple, specifically, a lover can position himself in his bond with the other from the freedom of mutual correspondence or from a way of loving centered on dependency.
It is then that two people reinforce their weaknesses instead of helping each other in their strengths. Couple codependency starts from a vision of love centered on attachment and, in turn, this attachment is based on internal deficiencies. This is, in essence, a form of dependency. How to detect and treat codependency? In psychology we reflect on this question of couple codependency: definition, symptoms and treatment.
What is emotional partner codependency
This type of codependency is a variant of one's own emotional dependence that reflects the bond of two people who have an unconstructive way of relating to each other.
The emotional codependency of the couple shows the profile of those who behave as indispensable for the life of the other through gestures and attitudes that focus the other as the protagonist. However, this abundance of gestures of love is conditioned by the need for constant recognition. A continuous search for reaffirmation in the face of one's own internal insecurity.
This dynamic of behavior produces suffering and wear and tear to those who end up locked in a very reductionist vision of love. In a relationship of this type, there is a lack of autonomy on both sides.
Symptoms of partner codependency
What are the symptoms that reflect this form of dependence in relationships? How can we detect if we are in a situation of codependency? Here are the main signals.
- Low self-esteem marked by a distorted view of oneself that is conditioned by the variables inherent in the current situation. Sometimes, the person feels misunderstood by their closest environment since their interpretation of reality does not coincide with the frequent perception that friends and family have about that story.
- Lack of initiative to establish limits in the relationship that give rise to a new bond based on respect for common and individual needs. Therefore, this form of codependency also reflects an unhealthy form of self-love since the person experiencing this difficulty does not listen to himself or the other.
- Limiting vision of happiness when viewing the script for the future in the specific context of this affective relationship. The idea of a break is presented as a form of loneliness that worries and blocks those who suffer from a form of codependency. This fear produces a vicious cycle as it fosters attachment.
- Emotional blackmail and affective manipulation as ways of exerting control over the partner. Blackmail from someone who makes their partner feel that they should act the way they expect if they really love them. Behind this message there is the continuous manipulation of the scheme "with everything I do for you."
- The fragility of a relationship whose foundation is very weak because the habits that sustain it do not reinforce it but destroy it.
If you think that you may be a person susceptible to this type of situation, we recommend that you take the following emotional dependence test.
How to overcome emotional partner codependency
The most important step in moving in the direction of healthy self-esteem is to identify the suffering inherent in this vision of love that connects with a scheme in which this feeling seems to justify everything. In a healthy relationship, the needs of both are valuable. And, in turn, it is also essential to establish limits and agreements that help the shared well-being in common and individual. Therefore, when you observe that your relationship takes away more than it contributes to the point that you live pending sustaining it with constant effort, it is essential that you value the possibility of asking for professional help.
Although a person who is at this point has become accustomed to observing the reality of love from his own beliefs, every human being has the opportunity to start over. That is, you can learn new habits.
Treatment for partner codependency
The psychological help in overcoming codependency couple not only part of a special attention to the core of that link, but also to tie a person has with herself. To develop a healthy love with the other, previously, a person must also be able to value himself by manifesting his autonomy.
A person who feeds codependency tends to behave as if it were essential for the happiness of the other, however, humility is a necessary medicine for those who, instead of continuing to behave in a way that confuses love with obsession, shows their desire to receive help to break this chain and achieve inner freedom.
Overcoming codependency is very positive even if that story comes to an end. I mean, you deserve to be happy . And the best way to avoid repeating patterns and patterns of behavior present in the current relationship in a future courtship is to discover the constructive vision of respect for yourself and for the other.