Meaning of the color green in psychology
If we think that colors cannot affect, and therefore affect, our existence, we make a serious mistake. Let's just think about the traffic light: who would pass with a red light? Just an unconscious. The interruption of the red light is a convention among men, a mere formality, but it would be irresponsible whoever thought of changing this agreement or not respecting this conviction.
The green traffic light, on the contrary, gives us peace of mind when passing safely, perhaps at a dangerous crossroads, in any case, feeling protected from the green when traveling safely. And we use the color green to give us that security or, rather, serenity that we never pay for, or to seek hope for a better life. Behold, then, on the color of an object depends the maximum of our good, life itself, ours and others. In this article we will see togetherthe meaning of the color green in psychology.
What does the color green mean
Lüscher defines green as "the color of the sentinel", that is, the color of firm perseverance, vigilance, stability , "control over the territory of the Self. Therefore, green is connected to all the functions of the I and corresponds "to man's attitude towards himself", to self-esteem, to the image of himself.
- Objective physiological meaning : constriction, "elastic tension".
- Objective psychological meaning : perseverance, constancy, defense, stability, resistance to changes, tenacity, consolidation, possession, control.
- Affective meaning : self-assertion, the will to act, power, prestige.
- Feeling of normal self-worth.
- Emotional content : pride.
- Archetype : earth.
- Temporality : the time organized, calculated, controlled (for example, the manager's time).
- Temperament : melancholic .
- Analytical interpretation : anality.
- Sensory perception : restriction.
- Target organ : involuntary smooth muscles.
- Symbolically corresponding : to the majestic redwood with deep roots, to the austere and self-critical temperament, to the rigid and defined environment.
- Shape : the shape associated with green is a square that transmits stability, static force and could represent a tower or a fortress seen from above.
Meaning of the different shades of green
Let's look at the specific meaning of the different shades of green in particular:
- Green water indicates emotional recovery and protection.
- Lime green , tending to pale, can indicate disease, something rotten, cowardice and discord.
- The acid / phosphorescent green , used in early computer screens, is somehow tied to the entire digital world; from this derives a meaning of extreme youth but at the same time of artificiality (false).
- Emerald green is the shade of green that we find particularly common in nature, in the middle of a forest; this color rests the sight, a sense of stability, heals the mind and our balance (all sensations that in a meadow or in a forest we can try).
- Dark green means ambition; It is a color associated with money, the financial and banking world.
What does the color green represent in childhood
Young children choose green. They perceive it as stable, it offers a kind of security , defensive strength. It is the color of self-revelation, of the egocentric vision of the world, it is what the child seeks to confirm possession, power. It is the cry: "Mine!" typical of a certain phase in children.
The search for green in children expresses the desire for constancy, recognition and self-affirmation ; When this search turns into exasperation and green is exceedingly preferred, then it could be a strong demand for appreciation and consideration, as well as expressing a strong defensive rigidity of control, stubborn adherence to one's own convictions, etc.
What does it mean to reject the color green
The rejected green can be the result of too strong pressure from the environment in terms of need, order, performance and the consequent need for evasion, superficiality, seeking opportunistic or manipulative attitudes in search of the desired confirmations . From a diagnostic point of view, the preference given to blue and the consequent rejection of green would be important, thus indicating a certain regressive tendency, a need for protection, for trust.
What is the color green related to?
Green color can be connected with:
- Music that makes you feel important (gift music, some national anthems, military marches.
- Attention, intellect , continuity, concentration, logical effort.
- The introduction of the norms and rules of games and behavior, to assume precise positions, to assigned tasks and functions, to organization and control.
- To a deep purpose of feeling considered, appreciated, respected, valued.
- Utilities of the color green
- The presence of a pharmacy is indicated by an illuminated and well-seen green cross and, in the pharmacy, we look for those medications that can improve and prolong our life in a bearable, if not pleasant way.
Not to mention the gown or various accessories that identify health workers in the operating room: white, the quintessential symbol of hygiene, cleanliness, asepsis, green has been preferred.
Therefore, the famous expression "green hope" acquires a concrete meaning in relation to our life. The hope of winning, the hope of regaining health, the hope of driving safely on a highway. In other words, we identify with the color green a situation or the hope of something that, if it does not improve our life, at least it will preserve it.