Common Personal Injury Accidents
Personal injury accidents can happen anywhere and at any time. However, some types of accidents are more common than others. It is important to know about most of the common accidents that result in personal injury that you can try to avoid and in which you can seek the help of an attorney if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in such accidents.
Most personal injury accidents happen when someone acts negligently. In order to prove negligence, the injured party must be able to establish that the defendant:
- He owed the plaintiff a duty to be careful : The definition of “duty to be careful” varies between states. Some states only consider whether a personal injury was a foreseeable consequence of the defendant's actions, while other states look at the predictability, the possible magnitude of the harm, the cost of avoiding the harm, and other factors.
- Breaking the duty to be careful : A defendant breaches the duty to be careful if he did not act as a reasonable and prudent person would have acted given the situation. The reasonable person standard is frequently contested and argued in personal injury litigation.
- Caused plaintiff injury: That the damage would not have occurred if the defendant had not breached the duty to be careful. In other words, the plaintiff's injuries must occur because of the defendant's actions and not due to any underlying medical cause or action the plaintiff took.
- You are liable for damages to the plaintiff : If the above elements of negligence are established and the plaintiff is the injured party or someone entitled to sue, then said plaintiff is entitled to recover damages.
Negligence is often established in the following types of common accident cases that result in personal injury:
- Automobile accidents: including rear end accidents and intersection accidents;
- Motorcycle accidents ;
- Truck accidents ;
- oat accidents;
- Bus accidents;
- Pedestrian accidents;
- Accidents to cyclists;
- Medical accidents: including birth injuries, surgical errors, misdiagnosis, emergency room negligence and other forms of medical negligence;
- Slip and fall accidents : including slip and fall on uneven ground, wet floors, or slippery spots;
- Workplace accidents : including workplace illnesses such as Mesothelioma and injuries caused by machines or other equipment;
- Defective product accidents : including illness caused by food, children's toys, defective medications, and defective medical devices; Y
- Animal bite accidents .
Expert personal injury attorneys are familiar with the common types of accidents that result in such injuries and can help you determine whether you have a valid claim against the party or parties responsible for your injuries. Each state has a specific statute of deadlines within which you must file a lawsuit to recover compensation for injuries that occurred in an accident that resulted in personal injury or to waive your claim. Consequently, if you have been injured or one of your loved ones has died in any of the common accidents resulting from the aforementioned personal injury or other types of accidents, then you should contact a dedicated attorney as soon as possible.
Talk to a Qualified Personal Injury Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative, but legal matters can be complicated and stressful. A qualified personal injury attorney can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local personal injury attorney to discuss your unique legal situation.
Updated on: 2020-12-03T04:19:16Z
Published on: 2020-12-03 04:19:00