How to Improve Confidence at Work
Most people face a stressful work environment every day. When work is very stressful for a person with little confidence, dealing with such high levels of stress adequately can seem impossible. Low levels or lack of trust make it very difficult for the person to assume leadership or appropriate participation in certain tasks or job duties and independent decision-making. All this can lead to great difficulties to progress or promote at work, it can even promote a job decline. For all this, building good self-confidence is essential for the workplace. In this psychology article, we show you some tips to improve confidence at work.
Job insecurity: consequences
One of the main obstacles to financial success is low self-confidence. Low levels of self-confidence make us doubt our abilities and judgment and, as a consequence, prevent us from taking minimal risks, setting ambitious goals, and acting on them. At work, people with this problem often unconsciously engage in behaviors that go against their success, keeping them away from job opportunities or promotions.
Low self-esteem is problematic for a number of reasons, but one of the main problems is that it can be quite conspicuous. People notice low self-esteem immediately and, unfortunately, colleagues, bosses or clients form negative opinions about people who show behaviors related to low self-esteem, since there is a generalized belief that low self-esteem is closely related to incompetence and apathy.
From a general point of view, it is better to have self-confidence and high self-esteem. But what happens in the workplace? These are some of the consequences of low self-esteem and low confidence:
1. Lower wages
One study concluded that those with good self-confidence and self-esteem had higher salaries than those with low self-esteem. This was visible in all social classes.
2. Labor inactivity
There are times when we have good business ideas, but we are afraid to carry them out. Lack of trust often blocks the implementation of those ideas and leads to business downtime. It is clear that people with high self-esteem tend to start new adventures and enjoy their job duties and responsibilities.
3. Less financial risks
Those with low self-esteem do not want to risk their money. Instead of investing some of their money, they prefer to reserve it and save.
These are just some of the consequences, but there are many more. Each case will have its own. Low self-esteem can be a hindrance in many aspects of life, but it carries high costs in professional life.
Some causes of low confidence at work
- There are many reasons why a person may not be confident at work. Among them, we highlight the following:
- Perhaps the person does not have the necessary skills to do the job or sufficient experience.
- The person is new to the company or is concerned about their ability to be successful.
- The person feels threatened by his co-workers, is afraid of losing his job or is very self-demanding .
- Humiliation and mistakes in public can be another reason
- There are some experts who indicate that the most common cause is a bad relationship with the boss. Job insecurity will last as long as the relationship does not improve.
Improve confidence at work: tips and tricks
Some steps you can take to improve confidence at work include:
- Prepare for work by developing the skills necessary to perform well . To do this, you must identify necessary skills for that job and the appropriate skills to deal with the boss, clients and co-workers. If there is any skill you don't have, it is important that you commit to training it until you acquire it. In this way, you will avoid the stress produced by these insecurities.
- Identify your strengths . Make a list of the qualities that you have that can be very good in your job. Recognize the areas in which you are better than others and apply them to your work. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses can positively affect your work by helping you improve your level of confidence. The strong points you will put into practice to improve your work and the weak ones you will train them to improve them.
- Set reasonable short-term and long-term goals or objectives . Short-term goals lead you toward long-term ones. Celebrating each of those little goals will help you build confidence as you progress.
- You must accept that there will be times when confidence at work is threatened. That is something that will happen and it is normal for it to happen. If you've been given a negative or malicious comment, take a day or two to recover before responding or making important decisions.
- Setting new challenges can be a very positive thing. Doing things that you previously thought were impossible will help you improve your confidence. Look for projects that give you the opportunity to use your strengths. If at first something seems very difficult, divide it into small steps or objectives, that way you will achieve it more easily.