This type of actions influence the evolution of its development
Recommended age 4 to +13 years
Choosing the right activity is often not easy since we don't know what to base on. We often ask ourselves: How should extracurricular activities be chosen: according to the child's preferences, family's pretensions and logistics? Do not miss this article that will help you decide with your child the best.
The activity chosen should not be an imposition of the familyWe present these basic tips to choose correctly:
1. MotivationThe child must be motivated to do the extracurricular activity; It should not be an imposition of parents based on their own tastes or interests, or even what they wanted to do in their childhood without getting it.
2. InterestsYou have to listen to the child's tastes when planning their extracurricular activities, although they may not always be able to meet exactly their preferences. Ideally, activities should be agreed by parents and children.
3. FrequencyIt is important not to saturate the child's agenda with countless courses and extracurricular classes ( no more than three days a week ). In addition to these types of activities, every day you must have time to rest, play, be in family and do your homework. Of course, it is important that there is a commitment on the part of the child about the minimum time he will attend this activity.
4. AdviceHis teachers, with whom he spends much of the day and who knows how he develops and learns class, can recommend which activities are more appropriate for him and will help him more in his development.
5. ConceptExtracurricular activities contribute to the adequate integral development of the child, so it is not advisable to consider them as a currency for possible rewards or punishments . They must be important for themselves and the child must understand it in this way, so it is not advisable to dispense with them in case of misbehavior or, the opposite extreme, force the child to attend some as a form of punishment.
Main extracurricular activities:
1) Sports activitiesAn excellent way to fight a sedentary lifestyle and childhood obesity. Among the most suitable sports for children we find:
- Team sports: football, basketball, volleyball, etc. On the physical level, they develop speed, reflexes, strength, agility ... On the level of values they foster companionship, tolerance, respect for the rules. Perfect for introverted children.
- Martial arts: judo, karate, etc. Improve coordination, strength, speed or flexibility. Perfect for restless and aggressive children as they serve to master impulses. They are also highly recommended for shy children by increasing their self-esteem.
- Individuals: Tennis, rhythmic gymnastics, skating… Improve coordination, movement, reflexes, etc. Tennis helps unload aggression. They are sports that promote overcoming and sacrificial ability.
2) LanguagesNowadays it is essential to speak several languages, so the sooner you start your learning, the better. It is proven that up to 7 years the brain has a greater plasticity and ability to learn several languages at the same time. In addition, learning a second language soon favors the subsequent learning of a third, fourth, etc.
Being bilingual or polyglot is not only beneficial for the child's future work; It also contributes to their intellectual development and favors personal relationships. Ideal for shy children.
3) Artistic activitiesThey favor imagination, the ability to overcome… they are suitable for creative spirits.
- Dance, ballet, dance: Promotes agility, flexibility, knowledge of one's body ... They favor sociability, discipline, memory.
- Theater, writing: Develop the mind, creative ability, communication, social relationships ... The theater is perfect for introverted children, although it may cost them at first.
- Plastic arts (painting, sculpture, photography): They foster creativity, imagination, fine motor skills, plastic expression. Perfect for both introverted and extroverted children.
- Music: Develops memory, sense of hearing, attention span, overcoming, sacrifice. The music is perfect for orderly, mature, demanding children with themselves, meticulous.