Today, we are aware that we live in a changing society. Technology advances every year, a fact that is difficult for the elderly to adapt, but at the same time, a new digital era in which children grow by the hand of new technologies.
With this change between generations, the elders are likely to ask ourselves what is good and what is bad in the new generations that grow alongside the change. Therefore, we invite you to read this Transkerja.com article: how new technologies affect children.
Advantages and disadvantages of technology in childrenNew technologies have a controversial effect on people's daily lives. In the same way that they favor communication between people, they also promote an impoverishment of social and personal relationships. For this reason, below, we will discuss some of the negative consequences and advantages that new technologies have on the daily lives of children. Where the pros and cons of technology will be valued in children and how new, technologies affect children.
Negative effects of technology on childrenHow does technology affect children? Social isolation and impoverishment of relationships are the main consequences of new technologies. However, we must also take into account everything that new technologies can generate. Next, we explain the consequences of the technologies in the children, as well as negative effects of the new technologies in the children:
- Social isolation: social isolation refers to the lack of personal contact, a fact that can be achieved with the abuse of new technologies. Due to the impact of new technologies on children, there is a social fragmentation, which implies more individualism. In this case, it is interesting to know how to improve social skills in children.
- Replacement: On many occasions, people replace human relationships with a cybernetic substitute, a fact that fosters social isolation.
- Lack of emotional contact: due to individualism and social isolation, a lack of personal contact is generated that leads to a decrease in all emotional things.
- Information saturation: new technologies often contribute to a facilitation of obtaining information, although instead of providing it, saturation is often generated that hinders communicative interaction and causes confusion.
- Repetitive routines: more often, children become accustomed to automated routines of the use of new technologies, a fact that promotes less creative and spontaneity capacity.
- Difficulties in speaking and communicating: with the current tendency that leads to less social contact, it leads us, at the same time, to an increase in the difficulties of speaking and communicating.
- Absence or decrease in symbolic play: the fact of involving more time in new technologies than in strengthening social relations encourages children not to spend so much time playing symbolic games (playing firefighter, playing veterinary ...). In the following article, you will find the Theory of the game of Piaget, Vygotsky and Freud.
- Distraction: On many occasions, parents use new technologies to distract their children from situations where they probably do not know how to manage their frustration, so children are more likely to develop a big intolerance to frustration. In this way, children do not face situations, as they should. This is one of the consequences of technologies in the most worrying children.
- Absence of boredom: children should learn to entertain themselves, without resorting to new technologies. However, today, it is common for children to be distracted by mobile or cell phone, tablet or tablet and other technological objects that encourage children not to tolerate boredom. Attention! Using the mobile phone not to face unpleasant emotions can end up developing Mobile phone addiction.
Advantages of new technologies for childrenThe negative effects of new technologies usually appear due to the use and abuse of new technologies in children. However, if good use is made of new technologies, they can be very beneficial for the development of children.
Taking advantage of the ease with which children are born to deal with new technologies, it can be given an educational use that allows fostering a better evolutionary development of children, both in the academic and social spheres. In this way, the benefits of new technologies in children should also be taken into account. Let us look at some of these advantages:
- Skills development: using new technologies allows children to develop certain skills, such as decision-making, technological skills (necessary to study and work in most cases), ability to analyze, problem-solving, observation, among others.
- It promotes knowledge: it allows children to easily access any type of information and free. Regarding this facility to access all types of information, it is advisable to maintain parental control.
- Learn to learn: by facilitating information, children, surfing the Internet, learn how they can acquire new knowledge.
- Research: the fact of having a freeway to be able to search for information on any topic of interest, promotes that children have a greater interest in researching and discovering new things and, thus, acquiring new knowledge. In addition, this stimulation for research, at the same time stimulates the desire to learn autonomously from children.
- School support: how does technology affect children's education? The new technologies can be used as a resource for school support, so that it can help to improve the academic results, especially for those children with special educational needs (students with disabilities or learning difficulties). In any case, students can access a wide variety of online games for educational purposes, such as games designed to improve attention.
- Academic results: according to various studies, the educational use of new technologies improves students' academic results. Thus, those students who resort to information and communication technologies (ICT) as a school resource and feed on its benefits obtain better results than students who do not use these resources.
- Socialization: new technologies are a good tool to help children socialize, whether through chats, games, etc. In this way, children can maintain contact with children, both from their own city and from different cities and cultures.