Mesothelioma is a serious condition that puts an emotional and financial burden on not just the patient but also their family. The expenses to treat mesothelioma are expensive but a patient and their family can file claims to get financial compensation which can cover the expenses. In general, there are two types of mesothelioma claims.
The Two TypesThe type of claims that should be filed depends on who is made the claims. If it is the patient who has been diagnosed with mesothelioma recently, they can file for personal injury claims. If it is on behalf of the patient with mesothelioma who has passed away, the family of the patient can file for wrongful death claims. We get into details below.
Personal Injury ClaimsAs the name suggests, this type claims is personal. It can be filed by an individual who has been diagnosed with mesothelioma recently. With these types of claims, the individual, who is directly affected by mesothelioma, is claiming that they need compensation for the following reasons.
- Medical expenses, which include expenses during diagnosis and treatment (future treatment is may be included as well)
- The loss of income, which include expected future incomes
- Pain and suffering due to disease related to asbestos
Wrongful Death ClaimsThe second type of mesothelioma claims is wrongful death claims. Unlike personal injury claims, the one who files for wrongful death claims is not the patient but their family member instead. The family member of a mesothelioma patient who passed away file for compensation to cover for;
- Loss of expected future income because of the patient’s untimely death
- Medical expenses that have been administered before the patient’s death
- Funeral expenses