What is Labor Violence:Workplace violence is taking a series of actions against another individual in the workplace , which can be exercised by both an authority figure and one or more co-workers of the same rank.
It is a phenomenon that is repeated with great frequency in different workspaces. Labor violence, in addition to involving the abuse of power, also implies the violation of a set of labor and human rights that are fundamental for the welfare and development of individuals.
In this sense, workplace violence can also include gender violence, as well as sexual, psychological or moral harassment .
Victims of workplace violence suffer direct and indirect attacks of various kinds such as psychological, moral and even physical that affect the mental and physical well-being of the worker, and also generate their denigration as a worker.
Characteristics of workplace violenceBelow are the main characteristics of workplace violence:
- It is a type of violence that seeks to exclude and harm a co-worker, whether of the same rank or below.
- These acts can be exercised by those who hold a position of director, boss, supervisor, team manager, among others.
- It can also be exercised by the same coworkers, with whom the same range of tasks and responsibilities are shared, but which promote this type of acts for various reasons.
- It can be manifested through work harassment, physical aggressions or psychological abuse such as teasing, sarcasm.
- The victim may be subject to discrimination because of their origin, culture, religion or skin color.
- It implies the violation of a series of labor and human rights that affect the integrity of each individual.
- It affects in various ways the physical and moral integrity of the victim.
Types of workplace violenceOccupational violence occurs, mainly, in the following types:
- Physical aggression: are all those behaviors that are intended, directly or indirectly, to generate physical harm to the victim.
- Sexual harassment: with actions aimed at harming the vulnerability of the victim. In general, women are the main victims of sexual harassment.
- Psychological aggression: affect the mental health of the victim who may experience the invasion of their privacy, be ignored, defamed or degraded. Victims can also be attacked for their comments or experience the theft of their belongings, among others.
Consequences of workplace violenceAfter a situation of workplace violence, various consequences can arise, especially on the worker, who has consecutively received various types of aggression that have affected his mental and physical well-being, and which have an impact both on his family and social life.
This is quite negative both for society in general and for the same company or institution of work, as it strengthens discrimination, injustice and anti-values.
Hence the importance of professional and work ethics and to enforce the professional or work values that characterize a company or individual.